About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this – how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In Amsterdam our customs team is integrated in the tax department. The tax team in Amsterdam has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture – we all work hard, but we also like to have fun along the way.
Our Amsterdam Customs practice is also an integral part of our European Customs Practice, which is led by Nicole Looks and Jennifer Revis (London). You will regularly work with members of the European Customs Practice, but also with customs experts in other regions (such as Americas and Asia).
Overall purpose of this position
In this role, you will be given the opportunity to manage the existing German matters. The role also comprises the further development of the German market on the basis of existing clients, but also the development of new clients by teaming up with our colleagues in other departments, countries and regions.
In the area of "Customs", we give advice in all aspects of European Customs Law (customs valuation, tariff classification, preferential and non-preferential origin) and excise taxes. Our clients from all industries appreciate our full-range service, starting from filing (ruling) applications, representation in audit matters, in litigation (up to the European Court of Justice) and in administrative or criminal proceedings. Supply chain advice is an essential part of our business offerings, too.
- Qualified chartered tax advisor (or equivalent qualification) with experience gained from a leading international law or accounting firm or an internationally operating business;
- Fluent speaking and writing skills in German (preferably native German);
- Fluent speaking and writing skills in English;
- Experience in managing management roles;
- Excellent technical abilities and development potential;
- Proactive and flexible, with an emphasis on reliability, responsiveness and delivery;
- First class communicator – both strong verbally and written – and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease;
- Strong team player with a "client first" mentality;
- A strong interest in business development;
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Nina Rolsma, Recruitment Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org