About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this – how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
We are looking for a Tax Knowledge Lawyer who will work from and for our Amsterdam tax team ánd working closely in conjunction with our other EMEA offices to ensure a reliable exchange of information and building relationships. The purpose of this role is to manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Group within the context of the Firm's knowledge strategy.
Overall purpose of this position
To make first-class Tax knowledge easily available to lawyers and tax practitioners (collectively referred to as “lawyers”), increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients, including:
Knowledge and Expertise
- Precedents. Draft, develop and automate the Group's precedents and other legal content
- Current awareness and commercial/industry knowhow. Keep abreast and provide regular updates on key developments impacting the Group. Apply an understanding of key clients' industries and businesses to all activity. Work with other Practice Groups (“PG”) and Industry Groups (“IG”) to provide the most holistic legal, commercial and industry knowhow possible. Leverage industry periodicals and media to enhance industry knowledge. Involve self with industry bodies, including by coordinating attendance at meetings and calls and by joining working groups and subcommittees
- Lawyer requests. Respond to ad hoc enquiries from lawyers with on-point, thorough and timely answers. Develop a reputation as a go-to expert
- Knowhow development. Collect and input the Group's knowhow into the firm's global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources. Identify gaps in knowhow and work to fill them, ensuring content development is progressive
- Training. Identify the Group's training needs. Meet training needs by delivering, participating in and promoting training. Leverage firm resources and processes to produce training materials and courses efficiently and of the highest possible quality
- Client-facing knowledge. Provide legal input into client-facing initiatives, including client training and legal content for proposals and other business development resources. Identify Group hot topics and write, commission and deliver content such as alerts, thought leadership reports and talking points. Educate self about PG/IG's Industry Key Clients
- Policy initiatives and capacity-building. Participate in and respond to policy consultations and regulatory development
- Relationships. Promote and identify ways to strengthen the Group's knowledge culture. Build lasting relationships throughout the firm through collaboration, mutual respect and a reputation for competence. Advocate and be a positive spokesperson for Knowledge. Nurture relationships with trainees and junior lawyers. Support diversity and inclusion, CSR and pro bono activities
- Operations and innovation. Proactively seek ways to improve your own and team's service and efficiency and contribute to best practices. Actively participate in Knowledge projects
- Systems. Support and drive adoption of Knowledge systems. Take ownership of delivery. Schedule one-on-one meetings and presentations to promote Knowledge systems
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Understand and promote the Group's business and Knowledge plans. Structure time and priorities in accordance with the Group's business and Knowledge plans and provide input into them
- Law degree;
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one);
- Substantial experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in the Tax area;
- Excellent English and Dutch language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment;
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution;
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines;
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills;
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal tech;
- Available full-time, based in Amsterdam (some travel may be required).
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
Compensation & benefits
Do you see it as a challenge to be a Tax Knowledge Lawyer at a leading international law firm on the Amsterdam Zuidas? Do you like to stay informed of relevant legislative developments and do you like to analyze the consequences for daily practice? We offer a very challenging role and the opportunity to make a substantial contribution to the know-how of our practice group. You will also end up in a dynamic and inspiring environment!
May you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our recruiter Liselotte Kroeze (firstname.lastname@example.org) or +31 20 551 79 37.