About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,200 people in 78 offices in 46 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this – how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
Overall purpose of this position
The position of a Tax Knowledge Lawyer will be twofold: working from and for our Amsterdam and Brussels tax teams ánd working closely in conjunction with our other EMEA offices to ensure a reliable exchange of information and building relationships. Within Baker’s regional focal point, the Amsterdam tax team is a significant player in the European ánd global network with a strong international focus and will have a key role in further strenghtening EMEA relationships. As knowledge management is one of the top strategic objectives, a Tax Knowledge Lawyer will have a key role in ensuring that our expanding tax team is fully up to speed with the continuing changes to Dutch, Belgian and European tax in order to advise our international clients on the implications for their transactions and structures. Being Baker McKenzie’s 2nd largest tax group in Europe, the Amsterdam Tax group requires a Tax Knowledge Lawyer to manage and further develop various content-related processes within the practice and optimizing knowhow and knowledge management. Last year the previous Tax Knowledge Lawyer started various local and international initiatives, but these need to be brought to the next level in order to enhance effectivity and efficiency in the Tax team. In Amsterdam and Brussels the new Tax Knowledge Lawyer will fullfil this position for three subgroups: Direct Tax , VAT and Transfer Pricing. Whereas Direct Tax has a national focus and their KM activitites should be more internalised, the VAT and TP teams concentrate more on international and specific types of work.
Main objectives will be:
- Know-how: managing Tax team’s know-how (systems), implementing know-how routines and informing the team of new tax developments and their implications as soon as they occur. Primary focus will be Amsterdam office because of its size; the role could work some days in Brussels but will be based in the Amsterdam office.
- Business Development: producing high-quality client alerts and updates; Building and strengthening relationships with Tax Knowledge Lawyers in other Amsterdam departments and in other offices.
- Training: organising all know-how training, including Harmony, EPs and soft skills. Participating in design and roll-out of EMEA-wide programmes.
- Advanced level of expertise in Tax Law or Tax Economics
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a commercial tax advisory practice as a tax adviser or tax lawyer, preferably at a national or regional firm within the EU
- Excellent command of Dutch and English required, with some French language ability desirable
- Available full-time, preferably based in Amsterdam
- Substantively strong
- True collaborator
Compensation & benefits
Do you see it as a challenge to be a Tax Knowledge Lawyer at a leading international law firm on the Amsterdam Zuidas? Do you like to stay informed of relevant legislative developments and do you like to analyze the consequences for daily practice? We offer a very challenging role and the opportunity to make a substantial contribution to the know-how of our practice group. You will also end up in a dynamic and inspiring environment!
May you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our recruiter Liselotte Kroeze (firstname.lastname@example.org) or +31 20 551 79 37.